Marketing and social media
What do we do?
Our marketing team work hard to ensure your book reaches its target audience. We promote every book to university libraries and academic bookshops using a variety of tried and trusted methods. We ask authors to complete an author questionnaire to assist us with this activity.
Even before your book is published, the marketing team will make your book more visible and discoverable by:
- Feeding comprehensive information to our sales agents, distribution partners and trade customers
- Creating advanced information for our trade partners
- Including your book in key publications, such as the bi-annual UCL Press catalogue
- Creating optimised web content for your book
- Social media posts about your title
Once your book is published, we use a range of promotional methods to publicise it, which may include:
- Social media posts about your book
- Conferences inserts/advertisements
- Blog posts about your book, including excerpts
- Directory listings (e.g. the Directory of open access books)
- Sending review copies
- Disseminating widely to specialist open access content platforms, such as UCL Discovery, JSTOR, Google Play, Google Books, OAPEN and World Reader, to ensure maximum discoverability
What can you do?
Working collaboratively really does help increase the visibility and reach of your book. Here are the key author-led activities we recommend:
- Make sure you include your book title and a link to the OA version on the UCL Press website in your email signature
- When you’re speaking at conferences and events, feature your book in a slide at the end of your presentation – we can provide you with images and links
- Spread the word within your networks – post information about your book to relevant contact lists, forums, associations and list servs
- Join the conversation – maximise the potential of your social media accounts. For more information, check out our social media guidelines
- Request a flyer – we’re happy to provide a flyer for you to distribute at events, conferences and speaking engagements
- Encourage reviews – positive reviews have a great impact on sales so encourage your peers to review via online platforms, journal book reviews or directly to their networks
- Stay in touch! – we’re always open to new ideas to reach our academic communities; send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.